01 November 2008

Halloween Weekend

This weekend was tremendous.

On Friday, I headed over to Kleistpark and met with a friend who declared that we should go to the IES party together as a 'zombie mob.' He and his girlfriend had actually put together a pumpkin pie from scratch -- and yes, it was delicious. In retrospect, I think I may really have scared a staff member (see image 1). But at last, we finally met a few of the American students from the ground floor who had been kept apart from us up until this point.

Prior to the meeting, I think I actually saw some trick-or-treaters. They don't call out the traditional "Trick-or-treat" as we are accustomed to, in the states, but rather, 'susses oder saures' (sweet or sour). And it's true, the halloween was really more of an American thing; just kids get into the holiday over here, for the purpose of candy.

Unlike our upstairs group, the students from downstairs have been able to attend courses inside Humboldt University. I asked about the restrictions, but apparently there are no clearly set boundaries aside from asking permission. I came to be confused, believing the blockade for the upstairs Metropolitan Berlin students to perhaps be organized by the program. And that didn't seem to make sense. Why not try to integrate us, while we're in Germany? We're already taking classes in English, making the German teachers go out of their way. I figured, why don't I break out of my little corner, and find my own way over to Humboldt?
Following the celebration, we headed out to Oranienburger Strasse. I met an individual in a tavern who came from Bosnia and Herzegovina, and who spoke with me very openly about the history in the region. After stuttering in broken German for some time, often using my hands to illustrate points or ask questions, I found myself more educated about the Balkans region.

On Saturday evening I headed over to Mexikoplatz to meet with a German friend for supper. She lives on Goethestrasse, which is located in a very pleasant neighbourhood. At this dinner were a few more German students, around my age, who studied in other countries. It was a very enlightening evening, and the food was excellent. However I must admit that I am somewhat disappointed with my conversational participation. Of course many of the questions were directed towards another student, who came from the UK (and was fluent in Russian, German, and I believe French as well). But I cannot use as my excuse the fact that my hunger reigned supreme, and so my mouth was preoccupied. My listening was very much in tune, and I picked up the unique dialects of interaction during supper.

After the meal ended, we slowly moved to the living room where we heard another great piano player set to work. I must be sure to keep in touch with these acquaintances from Germany, as old friends can introduce you to new ones.

This morning, I woke up early to a sunny, 8 degree celsius day (~45 fahrenheit). My wish was to make a journey over to East Berlin, and board a ship which would bring us around Berlin on the Spree, noting sights along the way. It turned out to be a chilly but sunny day, and it was a marvelous experience.



Soon after leaving the boat, I made my way down to Southwest Berlin where I had agreed with a fellow student earlier in the week to meet and play indoor soccer. After joining together, we found the Zehlendorf School where games are played on a weekly basis, and I was prepared to play. During the game, we called to each other in German -- truly enjoying the culture! I think that this was also the first real exercise I have gotten since I have been in Berlin, aside from long walks and short sprints between trains. It was terrific!


"Enthusiasm is everything. It must be taut and vibrating like a guitar string."
Pele

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nice costume, max! :)